December 17 Carrier Pigeon

I've been watching the birds at the back of my home of late... The baby magpies are learning how to fend for themselves, and they look as though they are having a lovely time digging for worms. The pluvers have taken seige over one of the corners in my neighbourhood, and are terrifying all the walkers who normally wander past.

There is one bird song that is such a delight to listen to. I can't tell you what that is, as I have no idea. The pee wees are getting bolder each day, as they wander around our outdoor area, as though they own it. It seems as though on my walk each day there is a different type of bird taking rest on the totem at the beach, one day a sea eagle, yesterday a crow.

Reading about these everyday matters, are what I miss most now that I no longer receive letters from a writer friend. My grandmother was a great one for sending letters and a fond memory of mine from childhood, was to walk with her to the corner postbox, to send one of her letters away. I loved popping that mail into the box. It seems as though these days we are all in such a rush, so much to do, that letters aren't something we send any more.

Image above & right - my grandmother's writing folder.

I miss the days of catching up on a year's happenings from overseas in a Christmas card - I miss Christmas cards - full stop. I know, call me old fashioned.

A few years ago, I found a series of letters written in the late 1800's to the early 1900's from my husband's family in England to their family in Seaforth.

The letters spanned a generation. I can't even begin to tell you the heartwarming insights into that family, that these letters have given me. Well I could, but I won't right now.

Let's not let the art of letter writing be extinguished by our current social media ways of connecting.

So I encourage you to write a letter, and do a little doodle, pop it in an envelope, stick a stamp on it, and send it with your love, to someone, you love. Who knows, maybe in a hundred years it will give another family a connection with the past.

PS... if you know of Marine Cottage in Essex, I'd sure love to know if it is still there and to have a picture to go with the letters.